Re: Netflix HTML5 player in IE 11 on Windows 8.1

On Jun 26, 2013, at 10:47 PM, Matt Ivie <matt.ivie@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-06-26 at 16:43 -0700, Mark Watson wrote:
>>
>> You are right that a CDM that implements all the capabilities of the
>> DRM itself, in software, without making use of platform APIs for that
>> purpose, couldn't be Free Software as it is required to be
>> non-user-modifiable.
>
> This statement also assumes that the platform that the CDM is running on
> has APIs that support Digital Restrictions Management.

Actually, my preceding statement assumed that. I think you highlighted
the wrong part.

> If that's the
> case then then something running in the OS isn't Free Software either
> and there is a required compromise for this solution as well. You're
> just moving the non-free software to a different part of the system.

Sure. I don't think I said, or even implied, anything else (though
whether you consider it a compromise, or a fair exchange, is a matter
of personal opinion.)

...Mark