Re: Letter on DRM in HTML from the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus

Norbert,

Thanks for providing input.  We value input from all stakeholders of the
Web.

I understand the concerns as we've discussed similar concerns in the
restricted-media Community Group already.  Still, the added voice adds
to the discussion.

I would like to offer several clarifications in-line; even though I
assume that this does not materially change the concerns of the Civil
Society Internet Goverance Caucus.

Jeff

On 6/14/2013 7:50 PM, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> This is the text of a letter that has been formally sent to W3C.
>

> The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus supports the Electronic
> Frontier Foundation concerns regarding DRM in HTML5

There is nothing in the content protection discussion which impacts to
HTML5.  The HTML Working Group works on several specifications and the
one related to content protection - Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) is
a separate spec.  HTML5 is not affected by EME.

> Dear Jeff Jaffe and everyone at W3C
>
> The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) endorses and supports
> the formal objection lodged by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
> <https://www.eff.org/pages/drm/w3c-formal-objection-html-wg> .
>
> We believe that the inclusion of digital rights management (DRM) in
> HTML5 has the potential to stifle innovation and seriously compromise
> the rights of end users; for these reasons particularly, we object to
> the inclusion of DRM in HTML5.
>
> We fully endorse the arguments raised by the EFF in their statement
> "EFF's Formal Objection to the HTML WG Draft Charter".

To clarify, the HTML WG Draft Charter neither mentions DRM or EME. All
that it states is that content protection is in scope for the HTML
Working Group.

It is true that EME is the spec that the Working Group is currently
working on and we have accordingly published a Draft of that spec.
However, this spec has not yet received W3C endorsement or the approval
of the W3C Director.