Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

On Friday, June 14, 2013, Matt Ivie wrote:

> "I don't follow the logic in that statement. Just because W3C can do
> >>nothing
> >>to reconcile the incompatible licensing choices of copyleft software
> >>authors and Hollywood content authors we should do nothing to improve
> >>the
> >>technology situation for everyone else ?"
> Are you saying that the software licenses chosen by the two parties are
> incompatible or that copyleft software is incompatible with the copyrights
> of Hollywood films? I'm assuming you mean the former but I just wanted to
> clarify.

I mean the facts that:
- Hollywood licenses include (by choice of the authors) requirements that
the content only be delivered to players with a certain kind of
non-user-modifiable component, and
- Copyleft software licenses include (by choice of the authors)
requirements that the software may not be used inside non-user-modifiable
components

The consequence of these choices is that I can't deliver content obtained
under one of these Hollywood licenses to players built entirely from
copyleft software. This is not something W3C can fix.

...Mark