Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

Karl, I love you and love your post :-D THAT's the kind of discussion
and solutions that should be researched by W3C, and not DRM related
ones. That kind of how to implement this alternative bussiness model
is TRULY inside the W3C competences... :-D

2013/6/9 Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net>:
> John,
>
> Le 7 juin 2013 à 08:11, John Foliot a écrit :
>> When I purchase a ticket to go see a movie at my local theater, it does not
>> imply that I can go and see *all* the movies on show at the multi-plex
>> theater - there is an implied and in fact legal contract entered into there.
>
> The monetization is not entirely tied to the mode of projection. There is indeed a contract but it's not necessary one and only one type of contract.
>
> Examples:
>
> # "physical"
>
> * one ticket for one movie (cinema)
> * one pass for as many movies as you want (festival)
> * no ticket in a closed room (special event)
> * no ticket, no rooms (outdoor cinema festival)
> * a movie on TV
> * a movie on a specialized channel
>
> # digital/magnetic
>
> * a VHS/DVD/BluRay that you rent and look at a number of times of your choices
> * a VHS/DVD/BluRay that you buy and can resell (and in some countries make legally a private copy)
> * a subscription for movies on online services (Hulu, Mubi for example)
> * buying one time watching (Mubi)
> * free to download, buy the dvd version
> * kickstarter projects for owning the final copy.
>
> The business schemes are unrelated to the mode of projection.
> There is not only one business model.
> The fact to have DRMs or not is a choice unrelated to the monetization. Some DVDs have, some don't.
>

>> Why should the entertainment industry that is "Big Media" then all of a
>> sudden be expected to change their business model due to a change in
>> delivery methods (physical cinema versus on-line)?
>
> see above. It's not a black-and-white thing. And here you are mixing
>         "DRM" with "projection mode" with "monetization"
>
> You could for example decide as a business scheme for the monetization of a movie to make a very low price and a very direct billing solution, so it is easier for people to pay than bothering searching and downloading on bittorrent. For example, when your computer is tied to a network operator (cable at home), you could imagine that there is an API in the browser which automatically add on your bill the cost of accessing that movie. And as you can see it is unrelated to DRM again.
>
> You could imagine that you could buy an identifier. In the books world, I would think about a kind of unique ISBN key, which shows you are the owner of this book, and you can access it from any devices, from anywhere in the world (digital bookstore interoperability) and read it *offline*. It would be interesting to study the friction in between anonymity (privacy) and identifiers.
>
> There are many things that can be imagined and instead of rushing one scheme, I would love to see proposal on the desk to solve the real issue:
>
>         How a content (owner or producer) can sell its content online?
>
> This is the key issue, nothing else
>

>> Why do anti-DRM proponents continue to call movies "software"? There is
> [...]

Unix."
– Linus Tordvals, creador del sistema operativo Linux