Re: What is the "open web" ?

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> I think the distinction of importance here when it comes to Open
> Source licenses is whether the freedom to modify the software is one
> of the freedoms that must be passed on to downstream users of the
> software (as opposed to being a freedom granted to the first recipient
> only).
>
> What is the correct term to distinguish licenses which do and do not
> require that ?

The term is “strong copyleft”. Examples include GPLv2 and GPLv3. (Due
to network effects, it doesn’t really make sense to launch non-GPL
strong copyleft licenses, though niche ones probably exist.)

The qualifier “strong” is needed to distinguish from the likes of MPL
and LGPL that are “copyleft” but only “weak copyleft” because their
copyleft doesn’t apply to the whole piece of software when code
licensed under them is combined with other code. Code that’s under MPL
could potentially be used in a Hollywood-compatible CDM. However,
LGPLv3 section 4d and LGPLv2.1 sections 6a and 6b would probably
conflict with Hollywood-compatible Robustness Rules.

MIT, BSD and Apache licenses are “non-copyleft”.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi