Re: What is the "open web" ?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2013, at 8:05 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi> wrote:

> Geolocation is a strange example to pick, because it's unusually
> permissive in how the back end can be implemented (GPS, cell tower id
> lookup, WLAN access point id lookup, IP address lookup, manually
> user-defined location, etc.). Also, GPS is over 20 years old.

I picked it because depending on the implementation (which as you say
can choose from a wide range of techniques) some applications may not
work at all. For example, navigation apps would have a hard time
without GPS. Perhaps they could do a passable job with cell tower
triangulation, or even WiFi triangulation in built up areas, though I
am not sure if either of those techniques are available without
payment.

Nevertheless, there are less performant implementations which require
nothing special to implement.