Re: What is the "open web" ?

Jeff Jaffe:
> On 6/5/2013 4:26 AM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>> Jeff Jaffe:
>>> I need further clarification.
>>>
>>> EME, for example, might not be implementable in GPLv3.  But I wasn't
>>> aware that it was not implementable in other open source licenses
>>> such as Apache or MPL (or even GPLv2 for that matter).  What am I
>>> missing?
>> CDMs which are relevant for the proponents of EME can not be
>> implemented
>> as Open Source. EME without such CDMs is useless for the intended
>> purpose of EME. We should not discuss implementing useless software
>> using Open Source licenses.
>>
>> It does not help if someone implements anything using an Open Source
>> license when other legal restrictions (such as NDAs) prevent him or
>> her
>> from providing the source code to others without conditions in
>> addition
>> to those contained in the Open Source license. Such conditions might
>> be
>> legally compatible with some "liberal" Open Source licenses, but some
>> conditions are not legally compatible with GPL3.
>
> I believe you have made this point aptly numerous times in the
> discussion group.
>
> But it is not what we are discussing here.
>
> The discussion here is a not a discussion of utility but a discussion
> of formal license compatibility

I tried to provide the clarification which you requested as best as I
could. Do you have further questions?

In any case: this Community Group is not only about formal legal
license compatibilities and all licenses which have been mentioned are
results of long discussions which not first of all concentrated on
formal legal issues.

Cheers,
Andreas