Re: Registration of CDMs as a solution proposal (was Re: "Revealed: how Microsoft...")

Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb@bollow.ch> wrote:
>
> > Maybe I misread your posting?
> >

> Yes, you did. I just meant it's not in my power to promise to publish
> source code owned by other companies. Like I said, we would like to
> see a solution that works for Firefox and I will do what I can to
> help that come about.

Ok, thank you for clarifying, and I apologize for having misunderstood
your posting.

> Those companies publishing source code is
> rather unlikely, in my opinion, but it's up to them. The suggestion
> serves as an example of an outcome that might be acceptable to many
> people who are skeptical about DRM.

Ok, although of course in the absence of any indication of that
outcome being acceptable to at least some of those who want DRM, not
much has been achieved by this example besides showing that Mozilla
Foundation is in good faith trying to find a workable compromise.

> > Since I also can't take my concerns to the relevant WG mailing list
> > (they're considered off-topic there), and no other representatives
> > of the companies which are pushing for EME seem to be engaging on
> > this list at all, the overall result might easily be a total dead
> > end, in the sense of total lack of opportunity for being involved in
> > discussions that have any chance of leading to a solution.
>
> Again, like I said, there is an open bug on this and constructive
> suggestions on how to realistically address it would be more than
> welcome.

I would suggest that it will be a step forward towards generating
such suggestions if somehow a conversation is created between
representatives of the companies who insist that strong DRM is
necessary for them for their business objectives and those who have
fundamental concerns about negative effects of DRM. I mean the kind
of discussion through which people on both sides start to understand
the other side's basic concerns as well as what is negotiable and what
isn't.

Greetings,
Norbert
FreedomHTML.org