Re: "Revealed: how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages"

On 7/12/2013 10:15 AM, Emmanuel Revah wrote:
> On 2013/07/12 00:37, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
>
>> If these systems are also interested in viewing premium content, they
>> also already have proprietary software to view that content.
>>
>> If they are not interested in viewing the premium content, they won't
>> have EME either.
>

> The term "premium content" should not be used in this discussion.

We've already had this discussion extensively on the list and tried
unsuccessfully to find a word we can all agree on.

The more complete description is that certain content owners invested a
great deal to create certain content and therefore have expressed a
requirement to protect that content.  'Premium' content was an
abbreviation.  So the proper way for me to have made my point was by saying:

"If these systems are also interested in viewing content whose owners
invested a great deal to create and therefore have a desire to protect
that content, they already have proprietary software to view that content.

If they are not interested in viewing content whose owners invested a
great deal to create and therefore have a desire to protect that
content, they won't have EME either."

I don't think that this more lengthy description changes my dismissal of
the argument that EME is relevant to the Prism program.

> I don't believe that the W3C should consider different classes of
> content.

One way to interpret this remark is that W3C should not have accepted
the "content protection" requirement of the Web and TV Interest Group -
which of course has been well debated on this list.