Re: Netflix HTML5 player in IE 11 on Windows 8.1

On Jul 6, 2013, at 22:58 , Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> I mean embedded in web pages that are part of the open web, so that, for
>> example, URLs can reference those pages.  This is in contrast to both
>> walled gardens (private networks), or custom applications used to access
>> content.  In neither case can the open web reference the pages.
>
> Why is that significant, if the Open Web can't access the content?

We encourage the growth of alternatives to the open web, and the open web risks becoming relegated to mostly low-value content.

> "Here's a link to a page with video that you can only watch on a Google
> operating system running on ARM architecture with a particular built-in
> decryption module."

Content owners who restrict themselves to small potential audiences are not making a great choice (if they want a larger audience), but it's still better than none at all.

Another (strong) possibility is only to make the content available on e.g. DVD, and not online at all.

> Thanks, but no thanks.

So I am not sure I understand.  This sounds like "since I would not want to watch it, and cannot watch it because of my principles, I don't think anyone should"?  I doubt that's right, but what is?

David Singer