Re: Netflix HTML5 player in IE 11 on Windows 8.1

On Jul 6, 2013, at 2:59 , Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> Exactly. That's why finding better alternatives is not a valid argument.
>> The debate here is not about DRM being bad or good. The debate is
>> whether this should be a W3C standard or not.
>
> And, from what we've been told, that was never debated at all, and won't
> be.

Should the web be restricted to media that is unprotected, or not?  That's a debatable point, for sure.  I think that is a poor choice, in that it relegates the web to only referencing what the owners feel is 'low value' content.

You might disagree (you probably do).  But the W3C has a long struggle with 'walled gardens' and other competitive issues, so the answer is by no means obvious.

If we could keep our principles pure and the high-value content web-accessible, we'd all be happy; but we don't currently see how to do that.

David Singer