Re: Netflix HTML5 player in IE 11 on Windows 8.1

On Jul 5, 2013, at 17:56 , Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> Perhaps we've noticed this issue too late; perhaps if we had been more
>> active in the W3C *before* we heard of the EME proposal through the
>> media, we might have had an opportunity to debate the more fundamental
>> issues (such as, whether the W3C should be working on DRM at all).
>
> In fact, here's a serious question about this: at what point would it
> have not been too late?
>
> If I (or the EFF) had wanted to put our oar in and do some "stopping" -
> i.e., actually debate the fundamental issues rather than the
> implementation - when *could* we have acted?
>
> Please forgive my relative ignorance of W3C processes, but it's not at
> all clear to me how that might have happened.  I'd certainly like to
> know, for next time if nothing else.

I'll give you one point:  'stopping' something is much harder than offering a better alternative.

In general, saying "I don't like X" doesn't carry much weight in any body I know.  "I think Y is a better solution for the following reasons" gets a whole lot more traction.

David Singer