Re: W3C mock's users [via Restricted Media Community Group]

Duncan Bayne wrote:

> It needs to be solved the way free markets solve it: change your
> business model, or die.  Comrade ;)

 By that logic there should be no fuss about this, whatever happens with
EME that business model would die.

Except it won't (unfortunately), at least not for a while. These two
reasons are enough:

1. The content owners (Movie studios in the main scenario) will not release
their products without DRM.
2. Most people don't care enough about this issue and will buy the products.

Even really annoying and broken technology like Ultraviolet (which in the
UK at least I could not actually get to work) is considered the best
solution so far to having your movies in the cloud (
http://twit.tv/show/frame-rate/137).

I don't like DRM either, and I personally avoid it whenever possible. But
it isn't possible until something better comes along that persuades the
content owners (not distributors like Netflix) to change their approach.
DRM will be implemented, it's just a matter of how.

-Alastair