Re: "Enclosed shops" Re: HTML5 and DRM - A Middle Path?

On Aug 20, 2013, at 11:40 , Norbert Bollow <nb@bollow.ch> wrote:

> Just like no chain can be stronger than its weakest link, no assurance
> of a security property can possibly be stronger than the weakest among
> all the assertions on which it relies.

And I am saying that your weak link is the traffic you send and receive. Breaking into each computer (which is what the article claimed was possible -- the claimed 'back door' was from 1999) is incredibly time-consuming, and then they somehow have to get the data out without you noticing the traffic.  Monitoring your traffic -- what sites you contact, your emails, and so on, all of which is typically in the clear -- is undetectable and way easier.

I know you don't like either DRM or being monitored, but they really are different problems and have at best a tenuous link.

David Singer