Re: Alternatives to DRM?

On 4/24/2013 8:27 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:
>> Dom, in framing this as a question about open source compatible DRM was
>> anchoring the discussion on a long-established W3C practice to make sure
>> that our standards are implementable in open source.  I was merely pointing
>> out that this would be possible with DReaM.
> This still interprets "open source" as "disclosed source" instead of
> the freedoms associated with Open Source which happen to require
> source disclosure.

Yes, that was my interpretation of Dom's question.  If he intended his
question as you interpreted it, then my answer did not address this
question.

>> To your point, W3C could certainly add a new practice to make sure that our
>> standards are compatible with the "no 'disclosed source code except keys'"
>> category.  In that case DReaM like solutions would indeed be excluded.
> I thought it was already effectively a requirement that W3C specs be
> implementable in ways that grant the downstream freedoms associated
> with Open Source

I have not seen that in my three years at W3C, but I would appreciate
pointers to where that practice was established.

>   (and that this was one of the reasons why the
> boundaries of the EME spec have been drawn to exclude the actual
> production CDMs).

W3C has not received any requirements to work on actual production CDMs.