Re: Update on Element Queries

> On Sep 5, 2016, at 10:08 PM, Marcos Caceres <marcos@marcosc.com> wrote:
>
> cc'ing Tab for comment...
>
> On September 6, 2016 at 6:44:44 AM, Tommy Hodgins (tomhodgins@gmail.com) wrote:
>>> The RICG has positioned itself as the unofficial authority
>> on this issue to people are looking to it for answers, but as somebody
>> working with element queries every day I have to ask, “Where is
>> the RICG?” From all appearances it seems dead in the water.
>
> Not at all... but I think a lot of us have been waiting to see what
> magic the Houdini effort produces. IIUC (which I might not, because
> I've not been following), it's supposed to enable user-land solution
> to things like element queries.
>
>> I’m ready to get moving on this! Is anybody with me?
>
> We are all with you :) But I'll defer to Tab on how the group should proceed.
>
> It might be that creating an informal specification for
> implementation, in the spirit of the Promises A+ spec, might be a
> great start.

Yeah, I emailed back and forth with Dean Jackson over at Team WebKit, and he agreed that a spec was the place to start regardless of the form the solution takes. Even if container queries end up being something developers build from Houdini and the like, there should be a spec for authors to follow—the way Picturefill tried to follow the spec, y’know?