From: Tommy Hodgins [mailto:tomhodgins@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2015 10:25 AM
To: Paul Deschamps
Cc: Tady Walsh; Jason Grigsby; public-respimg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Picture Element Explanation.

Hello Paul (and all)

I’ll take this moment to introduce myself since I haven’t written in yet, as well as propose a solution I already have working in every browser :) I have a solution that lets you set a CSS background image for a specific element based on the width or height of that element, and you can make it so CSS only loads back background image of the current width, and if you start resizing the page it THEN requests the other image and downloads it. It that what you’re looking for?

About me:

- Tinkering around with HTML since before: 2000 (Netscape Composer era, when IE was good)
- Had my own hosting, domains and sites online by: 2003 (pre-WordPress)
- Took Graphic Design in college from: 2006-2009 (around the release of the iPhone)
- Graphic design & web design work: 2009-2011 (WordPress, Joomla)
- Freelance front-end development, specializing in responsive: 2011-2015 (HTML, CSS)

I have similar concerns about the way the responsive images are implemented - it seems nobody can decide if this is a structural change to the page (HTML) or a cosmetic change (CSS). Personally, I believe swapping out image assets is the job of CSS, so I am very curious to see CSS add this ability :)

I build all my sites out of CSS, and only use images for photographic content. For that, I always supply it retina-ready for devices that support it, and let other browsers scale it down. The time I would take generating images at different sizes and adding responsive images support I just optimize that one retina-ready asset until it’s efficient to send out.

However, I am very interested in element queries, and enhancing CSS support! Here’s my proposed solution:

@element '#demo' and (min-width: 0px) and (max-width: 699px) {
  #demo {
    background: url('nebula.jpg');
  }
}

@element '#demo' and (min-width: 700px) {
  #demo {
    background: url('sm-magellanic-cloud.jpg');
  }
}

It works today, via polyfill. If you load the page and #demo is below 700px, it only loads in nebula.jpg, if you load the page and #demo is wider than 700px, is only loads sm-magellanic-cloud.jpg, and if you load it and resize it to both widths it will have pulled in both images.

Demo where you can test it out: http://staticresource.com/responsive-image.html

I hope this is an okay first contribution! I have plenty more element queries to share : )

Take care,
Tommy