Re: Picture Element Explanation.

On 2015-03-05 11:33, Jason Grigsby wrote:
> On Thursday, March 5, 2015, Paul Deschamps
>

> If anything, I'm tired. We've had this discussion before multiple
> times in the past. You're not the first and won't be the last.

I know I was one of those people :)

> And honestly, I'm fine with the repetition. I expect it.
>
> Where I push back is on the idea that people who have been working in
> this issue for years need to provide proof to you when by all
> appearances you've just started looking at these issues.
>
> We're happy to answer questions about the standard. We're happy to
> explain the constraints and problems.
>
> But we're unlikely to take the time to vet ideas that rehash things
> that have been explored and discarded in the past. It's a waste of our
> time.

One thing that is tough for newcomers is finding that complete history
and seeing all the paths that were investigated and discarded.  It's a
separate issue if they actually disagree with that reasoning.

> Now, if you do the work and prove that what the people who work on the
> browsers are incorrect, then more power to you. Just don't expect, or
> demand that people "show their code" for what we've encountered
> multiple times in past and see as a fool's errand.
>
> I'm happy for you to tilt at windmills. Hell, I'd love for you to be
> right. I spent time tilting at that very windmill as well.
>
> But don't expect nor demand that others follow you and do extra work
> until you prove that it isn't the same windmill we've been enticed by
> multiple times.

At some point, the requirement of working with legacy environments may
have to go.  Responsive images is, as implemented, a patch (at least in
specification terms, hopefully not in browser implementations).  I find
it somewhat ironic that I happened to notice this morning just how slow
my computer boots nowadays (Win7).  Why? Because patch after patch has
been layered on top of the base OS -- it never gets rewritten and loaded
"clean".  I feel that the same thing holds for the HTML spec at this
point.

So, a question would be: if you could design a markup language from
scratch, which would have responsive images, would it be what we have
now, or something else which would be better?  And, if was something
better, is the improvement worth the upheaval?   (Or would it be worth
it if several other nice things were rolled in at the same time?)  Sad
to say, probably not.  But, on the other hand, maybe it would have a
nice grid layout mechanism :)