Re: Requirement for Element Queries

Dear Rob,

> Hi Mikel, are you referring to the code at
> https://github.com/ResponsiveImagesCG/cq-demos or
> https://github.com/ResponsiveImagesCG/element-query ? If so, I’m the
> original author of that code, so I can probably answer a few questions.

Yes, thanks!

> That was originally written as quick proof-of-concept project two years
> ago and, unfortunately, hasn’t had much work since. It updates all the
> element queries when the window/viewport resizes, as you noted. The intent
> was always to add DOM mutation observers to the mix as well; I just never
> got around to it. I *think* that would catch all situations that might
> cause an element to change size, but haven’t spent the time to really think
> through it deeply.

Yes, that's what we were pointing and what we are implementing. Analysing
this, is when we found your previous work in the field.

> Regardless, I believe the intent of Element/Container Queries is
> definitely to address the size of an element at any point in time,
> regardless of whether the window size is changing. Your case: “the
> container-based element queries should be applied, even if there is not a
> viewport change event” is exactly what’s intended! The fact that the demo
> code doesn’t do that is a shortcoming of the code, not a lack of intent for
> covering that use case :)

Excellent!

> As far as web components goes, I think that’s probably orthogonal to
> element/container queries. Web components are pretty great, but they don’t
> necessarily give you any special new functionality that matters to element
> queries (for example, they don’t tell you any more about size changes than
> mutation observes can). Tying element/container queries to custom elements
> would also mean tying the idea of a CSS-based query to particular markup,
> which I personally don’t think is good or necessary to make it work. I
> think you should be able to apply a query to an <h1> as easily as you would
> to a <media-scape-element>.

Agree. For our project, we are implementing it for Web Components, but it
is true that should be general.

> Does that cover what you were interested in?

Yes, thanks. I sent another reply with more details, but your answer
covered our point.

Best regards,
Mikel.

P.S: We will publish our development in some months, so we'll be able to
provide some examples for the discussion.