Re: Informing the browser of the expected size of the image

> On 27 Oct 2014, at 17:03, steve@steveclaflin.com wrote:
>
> Now, in particular, when we could have images with different aspect ratios, it seems like the browser wouldn't know until it downloads one what the aspect ratio is.  And we might end up with a very jumpy page.

For this I'm rooting for "smart" HTTP/2 servers that can push all image file headers (that contain image dimensions) to the client very early, and resume sending of the rest of the image data only after other assets have been sent. In theory HTTP/2 allows servers to do this automatically with very little overhead and it would "just work" without need for any extra markup.

Of course, we're not there yet. I feel your pain, interaction between image height and max-width is really annoying.

object-fit: contain; helps a bit in some cases.

--
regards, Kornel