Re: Compressive images test

Hi Barry,

On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Barry Latimer wrote:

> All,
>
> While its really interesting to understand how different image formats compress and byte boundaries work, it seems to be a different topic than responsive images and the ideal implementation method, as using optimal or non-optimal compression techniques to serve different images to a different breakpoints/screen sizes/screen formats should result in different image sizes therefore reducing/increasing the overall download size of a page depending upon the chosen image.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Much of the pushback that we got originally from browser vendors was "compress your images better, then!". In particular, the community group was pointed to:
http://www.netvlies.nl/blog/design-interactie/retina-revolution

if we are able to show that scaling down giant images (regardless of them having low kilobytes) simply won't scale memory-wise - that's a pretty big deal.
> The focus here needs to be more around which techniques will best work for the wider community on specifying a format/syntax to indicate to the browser which image to download based upon the screen/user/device viewing the web page in question.

Sure, that is just one of our problems - but the CG is interested in _all_ aspects of image delivery. For instance, we are also extremely interested in evaluating how Client-Hints could help (which is a HTTP-based solution, rather than a markup solution).

In other words, the problem of effective responsive image delivery is not confined to syntax and formats. It involves looking at a range of problems that affect different layers of the platform (from network, to markup, to the preload scanner, to decompression speed, to memory usage, etc.)

Kind regards,
Marcos

--
Marcos Caceres