Re: Media Query Variables

From: Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:45:26 +0200
To: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Cc: (wrong string) „ski <kornel@geekhood.net>, "public-respimg@w3.org" <public-respimg@w3.org>

> > There is no performance problem if MQ variables are defined in <style> in
> > <head> on every page. Is that a good compromise?
> >
> It might have to be. Navigation controller (a.k.a., Event Workers) are
> heading in the same direction (insert inline).

I agree, for the lack of a better solution. Same applies to `@viewport` and
viewport dimension based preloading (picture, srcset, media specific
stylesheets).

A major downside of inlining is that with CSP, it will be off by default
(and a security risk if opted-in to). We have nonces to overcome that, but
they hard to deploy (need to change a secret for every page load). I'm
hoping hashes will land soon, allowing to statically authorize some inline
styles, without opening the doors for all style based XSS.