Re: What's wrong with UA sniffing and server side processing?.

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Darrel O'Pry wrote:

> <unlurk />
>
> There seems a be a general dislike for UA sniffing, but I don't see much reasoning behind it. Why are people opposed to UA sniffing? What's wrong with UA sniffing to do device detection and determine device characteristics?
See:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Browser_detection_using_the_user_agent

For example:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2011/06/30/perils-of-user-agent-sniffing-browser-mode-document-mode-compatibility-view.aspx

> I understand reservations about server side processing, particularly when you don't have access or control over the server?
Yes, this affects a significant number of developers (at least the research we - RIGC- has done seems to suggest this… speaking of which, I don't know where the link to that research went. Would be good to have that in the Wiki and if there is supporting research, would be good to add to the wiki too).

--
Marcos Caceres