Re: [public-respimg] Best Practice Resizing + Asset Re-Downloading / Resp ImageFormat

From: Jason Grigsby <jason@cloudfour.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 10:56:54 -0700
To: Anselm Hannemann <info@anselm-hannemann.com>
Cc: Tom Maslen <tom.maslen@bbc.co.uk>, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, Ritchie Anesco <info@ritchieanesco.com>, Mohsen Nabiloo Azimi <msnazi@gmail.com>, public-respimg@w3.org
> On 05.07.2013, at 09:47, Tom Maslen <tom.maslen@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>
> When I made the responsive images solution for m.bbc.co.uk/news we didn't
> have any data to make a decision about this so I just guessed and made the
> images scale 100% to fit its containing element, but then get the JS to swap
> the image out for a better fitted alternative every 30px.

FWIW, I wrote recently about the idea of using performance budgets to
determine when to swap images:
http://blog.cloudfour.com/sensible-jumps-in-responsive-image-file-sizes/

I'm still not satisfied with any solution, but at least a performance
budget seems like it is based on rules and logic whereas everything
else seems arbitrary to me.