RE: [public-respimg] Best Practice Resizing + Asset Re-Downloading / Resp ImageFormat

Hi,

> Always keep in mind that people might be on costly network connection and might not want to
re-download another image that only slightly improves quality.

Yep totally agree, not many people resize their screens constantly (apart from developers playing with responsive sites) so we're not causing the internet to melt.  This would have a negative effect on our servers too (we have big web traffic scaling issues).

We also use JS for the initial image load, so 99% of the time the user hopefully only gets 1 image.

> Speaking of resizing performance impacts you there won't be any on such slight resizes. What I was speaking about
are resized images like 2048px*1536px down to 1024*768px or even larger (panoramic images). There you can clearly
see the CPU/GPU of the devices is too slow to repaint that in time on cheap mobile phones.

Do you have any other examples?  This is the first time I've read anyone mention specific pixel values in relation to scaling issues.

/t

Tom Maslen
Tech Lead
BBC News Visual Journalism