Re: Adaptive Image Element Proposal

Hi Benjamin,

Good to hear from you.

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
<bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Laura Carlson
> <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> An element like <desc> would provide a semantic holder for rich text
>> on-page long descriptions.
>>
>> However, it would be hamstrung to on-page descriptions. It would not
>> be a direct off-page long description that could be applied globally
>> across multiple sites, or across an entire site, or across a subset of
>> pages.
>> http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/constriants/separate-doc.html
>
> It's hard to follow exactly what sorts of text alternatives the
> participants in this thread are trying to provide (plain text
> accessible names, plain text accessible descriptions, rich short text
> alternative, rich long text alternatives, etc)

Requirements:

1) A native, semantic, programmatic determinable SHORT text
alternative read out automatically by AT (either a string or very
minimal markup limited to perhaps @lang, ABBR, STRONG, EM). It
shouldn't contain activatable text. By _default_  it shouldn't have a
forced visual encumbrance. (@alt type functionality)

2) A native, semantic, programmatic determinable rich LONG text
alternative that is discoverable to all but not forced upon an users
e.g. the user should be provided a choice of consuming or not. (You
are familiar with the types of discoverability mechanisms [1]). It
needs to support structured text, on-page as well as off-page
descriptions. By _default_ it shouldn't have a forced visual
encumbrance. (@longdesc functionality)

The solution needs to be dead simple to author, easy to maintain. And
we will need authoring support in terms of tools and educational
material to accommodate authors of differing skill sets (i.e., from
people of your caliber to WYSIWYG content authors and HTML authors
with _very_ little skill set.)

> but ...
>
> Note <desc> would support reuse of long descriptions using anchors and
> iframes like so:

Again using Scott's work [1] as a base, the following examples use
those markup patterns:

EXAMPLE 1 (external off-page link)
Markup:
<alt>A giant stone face at the Bayon temple in Angkor Thom, Cambodia</alt>
<desc><a href=external/carvingdesc.html>Long description: Giant Stone
Face</a></desc>

Page:
http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/scottjehl-picturefill/descexternal.html

EXAMPLE 2 (iframe)

<alt hidden>A giant stone face at the Bayon temple in Angkor Thom,
Cambodia</alt>
<desc hidden><a href=external/carvingdesc.html>Long description: Giant
Stone Face</a></desc>

Page:
http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/scottjehl-picturefill/desciframe.html

EXAMPLE 3 (internal)
http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/scottjehl-picturefill/descinternal.html

Benjamin how would you make these pages fulfill the requirements? Do
you have ideas for spec text? Maybe piggyback on what we wrote for
longdesc?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Laura