Re: WebP, anyone using it?

From: Kornel <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:53:57 +0100
Cc: public-respimg@w3.org
To: Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com>
On 19 paź 2012, at 08:29, Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com> wrote:

> Though I would *love* alpha on lossy images. A number of designs from my work have to be turned back and edited because they're simply not practical with PNG alphas.

PNG does support a form of lossy images with alpha — palette-quantised images can have varying degrees of transparency.

The problem is that Photoshop doesn't support this, so many authors assume it's impossible.

http://pngmini.com http://pngquant.org

While it's not as good as WebP:

http://pngmini.com/vs-webp/

IMHO for majority of cases it's "good enough".

There's also potential to make 24-bit PNG smaller by removing information (e.g. by posterising and lossy application of PNG's filters).

--
regards, Kornel