Re: WebP, anyone using it?

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 18:24:10 +0100
To: David Newton <david@davidnewton.ca>
Cc: Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>, public-respimg@w3.org, Tom Lane <tom@tomlane.me>
(Tom, please to capture this in the wiki as some degree of evidence for WebP usage on the Web)

On Monday, October 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM, David Newton wrote:

> On 2012-10-15, at 12:52 PM, Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr (mailto:fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr)> wrote:
> > | <picture>
> > | <source type="image/webp" srcset="small.wp, medium.wp 2x, big.wp 3x">
> > | <source srcset="small.gif, medium.png, big.jpg">
> > | </picture>
> >
> > This is what I had in mind indeed; you don't need to define the possible values for the 'type' attribute: you can just say it should be a valid mime type.
> >
> > After that, it's up to browsers to define which mime types they support and which one they don't.
>

> Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking too. In terms of what's out there now, I did some really quick searching and found some stuff.
>
> WebP in use:
> Torbit using WebP: http://torbit.com/blog/2011/04/05/torbit-adds-support-for-webp/ and http://torbit.com/blog/2011/05/02/webp-statistics/
> Opera Turbo proxy using WebP: http://googlesystem.blogspot.ca/2011/04/opera-turbo-uses-webp-to-compress.html

This is useful data too:
http://torbit.com/blog/2011/05/02/webp-statistics/

"so far, we have converted 63,460 images from Torbit-enabled sites to the WebP format."

I'm not sure what that means in context, but we should reach out to Torbit to get more data if we can. For example, how many sites are they serving to and how many users? If it's a significant number on the Web (hitting Chrome and Opera), then we might be in business with a demonstrable use case and requirements.