Re: Survey of OpenRefine reconciliation services

Hi Vladimir,

On 6/26/19 10:56 AM, Vladimir Alexiev wrote:
> In my experience, a user often needs to provide some "context" or
> global parameter to reconciliation.
> Eg local country (for place reconciliation), jurisdiction (for company
> reconciliation), etc.
>
> The current protocol doesn't support that.
> So eg OpenCorporates recon takes jurisdiction as part of the base
> service URL.
> "Global parameters" is a promising extension of the protocol.

I am not sure what you mean here: the protocol does support adding
properties to give some context to each reconciliation query.

OpenRefine's interface does not make it easy to add such global
properties: you have to create a new column containing the constant
property value. But in my opinion this is more a limitation of
OpenRefine rather than the protocol, I would say. For instance the
jurisdiction that OpenCorporates accepts in the base service URL can
also be specified as a property, which gives the same results.

Or did I misunderstand your suggestion?

Antonin