Re: Checking equality of graphs serialized in JSON-LD and Turtle

On 20 October 2014 03:57, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

>  On 10/19/14 6:33 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

>>  An identity card doesn't need blank nodes. We both agree that public
>> keys are worthy of their own HTTP URIs. A  modulus and exponent discernible
>> attributes (characteristics) of a Public Key.
>>

>  The only sets of webid that I know if that dont use bnodes are openlink,
> mine and toby's.
>

> You mean the webids generated by our solutions (ODS, YouID etc..). They
> don't have blank nodes, because as I said, modulus and exponent are
> discernible attributes of an Identity Card.
>
>  So while freedom is nice, without guidance, you can lose time getting
> from A to B.
>

> This isn't about freedom. It's simply about clear guidance that's easy to
> understand, and not confusing.
>
> The problem with blank nodes is that they aren't understood, and as
> result, misused. The solution is to bring clarity to their function so that
> usage is better understood.

I think we are agreeing.

Timbl's guidance is clear, the use of the term axiom is very strong.

The problem is not only that it is confusing, although there is that.

The problem is also that some people wilfully violate, sometime just for
vanity -- e.g. by using bnodes *inappropriately* ie when it's necessary, or
using 3XX *inappropriately* ie when it's not necessary, or by creating LD
that is not 5 star etc.

This leads to faux debates, time wasting and a whole bunch of LD technology
that does not interop and gives the movement a bad name.

I've heard people on this list describe timbl as an 'old timer' and people
saying the axioms no longer apply to the modern web.  Neither is true.

Simply follow timbs advice which represents best practices, as openlink
does, and things will be fine.