Re: how do I copy some properties that are part of a bigger pattern

Hi Jarno and Gregg!

It seems to me that this is a good example of where @itemref-like
functionality is quite unnecessary in RDFa. The #copyright-holder simply
contains a link from the page to the corporation, and the #publisher-url
and #publisher-description contain properties of that corporation. The
resulting microdata, however, outputs two different nodes for what
seemingly is the same corporation, so perhaps the example has been
simplified too much, thus obscuring what is actually needed?

Still, In RDFa, instead of adding different @id:s to disparate parts of the
page which are about the same resource (and then listing them in @itemref),
you simply use @resource to capture the fact that a given block is about it.

Your example can thus be written like this in RDFa Lite:

- - - 8< - - -

  <article property="text">
      <link property="publisher" resource="#corp">

      <h1 property="name">How to copy properties in RDFa Lite &
Microdata</h1>
  </article>

  <footer property="mentions" typeof="WPFooter">
resource="#corp">
          <a property="url" href="http://www.example.org">
          </a>

  </footer>

- - - >8 - - -

In my opinion, this is a more convenient way of handling data smeared out
in a messy tag soup (with the results being shorter and more legible). Of
course, you need to name these resources, unless they already have formal
URIs, but that's easily done with a fragment identifier or a bnode id. (And
note that in microdata, you instead need to ensure that a layout designer
doesn't meddle with the @id values used by @itemref, for quite different
reasons (their use in CSS and JS).)

Also, the resulting data here doesn't contain two distinct nodes for what
is apparently meant to be the same corporation.

Remember, it is only when you need to duplicate a set of properties for
different resources that rdfa:copy is necessary. And even in those
circumstances, you might be able to leverage the way @resource can group
descriptions together, to build up one pattern from disparate parts of the
page.

I'd be happy to take a look at such examples as well.

Cheers,
Niklas