Re: JSON-LD - experimenting with universal Linked Data markup for Web Services

From: Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 05:33:23 -0400
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
Cc: Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, Public RDFa <public-rdfa@w3.org>
I like the motivation here that finds common ground between rdfa,
microformats and microdata. The previous work done on linked-data-api
[1] seems to be primarily focused on making sparql endpoints easier to
access and use. While I can definitely see the need for this, I think
it's a more complicated task than defining a compact, idiomatic, human
readable json serialization for rdf.

Just a few notes:

- I was wondering if there was going to be a default __vocab__ prefix?
I think it might be a bit awkward to always require it.

- It might be nice to save the bnode examples for later, once you've
convinced people that json-ld is something they want to do :-)

- what is a "JSON-LD Web Service"?

- any plans to interject this work into the RDF Next Steps discussion
[2]? Personally I would love to see a w3c endorsed json serialization
for rdf ... but perhaps it's too soon?

//Ed

[1] http://code.google.com/p/linked-data-api/wiki/Specification
[2] http://www.w3.org/2009/12/rdf-ws/