Re: Facebook - RDFa in Open Graph Protocol

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/4/21 Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
>>
>> So this just got a high-profile launch at Facebook's F8 conference a
>> couple hours ago -
>>
>> http://opengraphprotocol.org/
>> http://developers.facebook.com/docs/opengraph
>>
>> They're using RDFa, putting structured data into Web sites to sit
>> alongside a Facebook "Likes" button, so that the topic of the page
>> (movie, restaurant, book, whatever...) can be understood by apps
>> downstream dealing with the social data. The RDFa is pretty basic, and
>> I warned David that there's a good chance they'll be jumped upon by
>> 100s of well-meaning semweb advocates arguing that they should be
>> using more existing vocabs, different syntax structures, etc etc. I'd
>> urge you all to go gently on that front for now, and focus instead
>> more on how we can improve RDFa tooling and specs than on lobbying for
>> improvements.
>
> One question I have:

> <head>
> <title>The Rock (1996)</title>
> />
> </head>
>
> should some of the property attributes be rels?

They have chosen to represent URIs as strings, rather than use RDFa's
built-in representation of URIs. This probably isn't ideal from a
modelling perspective, and means they're opting out of the ability to
use relative links in the attribute value. I'd prefer to see typed
links here but I can understand the appeal of this current highly
regular notation. I'm not losing sleep over this. I think the biggest
shortfall is not making more explicit use of typing, but hey, step by
step!

cheers,

Dan