Re: list-expansion in RDFa

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:23:38 +0000
To: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com>
Cc: RDFa Community <public-rdfa@w3.org>
On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 20:59 -0500, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> I notice that RDFa does not define rdf:li list expansion as in
> RDF/XML. In RDF/XML, according to
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-Syntax-list-elements,
> rdf:li is expanded to rdf:_1, rdf:_2 and so forth during expansion.

Indeed it does not. A method for RDF grouping constructs - and in
particular rdf:List structures, which are annoying to represent in RDFa
- would be very welcome in a future version of RDFa.

But as RDFa is currently defined, rdf:li does not expand to rdf:_1,
rdf:_2, etc. So a test case requiring parsers to do so would not be a
good idea.

That having been said, expanding rdf:li to rdf:_1, rdf:_2, etc seems a
useful feature for a parser to have, albeit one that should be
implemented as an option, switched off by default until such a time as
this feature is standardised. I'm quite tempted to implement it in my
Perl RDFa parser.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>