Google announces support for RDFa

From: Steven Pemberton <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 21:16:00 +0200
To: "public-rdfa@w3.org" <public-rdfa@w3.org>
As Ben Adida reports:

http://rdfa.info/2009/05/12/google-announces-support-for-rdfa/

"Google just announced support for RDFa[1], starting with product reviews.
Here’s Google’s FAQ on adding RDFa to your pages[2]. This is a significant
new direction for Google, where they will start looking at explicit data
structure and provide enhanced search results accordingly. It’s fantastic
to see them using RDFa for this task. It’s also fantastic to see them
encouraging the use of a non-Google-branded vocabulary:
open-vocabulary.org[3]. Generic, reusable vocabularies built by industry
groups, that’s exactly what we were hoping for with RDFa.

The side story here is that this was basically a Google-driven project
 from the start: they didn’t need the RDFa task force to create their
vocabularies, to figure out how to mark up their pages, etc. Folks on the
RDFa task force are finding out about this just now, as it happens. And we
like it that way. RDFa is meant for communities of all sizes to mark up
their pages, without centralized process overhead. Both Yahoo and Google’s
RDFa launches were achieved without consultation with the RDFa community,
and I consider that a success."

[1] http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/05/google-announces-support-for-m.html
[2] http://google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=146898
[3]