Re: RDFa and Web Directions North 2009

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:05:16 -0500
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
CC: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Michael Bolger <michael@michaelbolger.net>, public-rdfa@w3.org, RDFa mailing list <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Mark Birbeck wrote:
> [SNIP]
>
> As I said before, RDFa can already be used with HTML5, by anyone who
> wants to do so, and provided that HTML5 remains backwards compatible
> with HTML 4, it will continue to be usable.

The heart of the matter, in a nutshell. HTML5 needs to be backward
compatible with HTML4, the RDFa story is sort of incidental.

Ironically, I sense an inverse thread developing around the virtues of
breaking HTML5 and HTML4 backward compatibility :-(
> So it sounds to me like we have the best of both worlds; those who
> want to use RDFa -- such as a number of UK government projects,
> Yahoo!, etc., etc. -- can continue to do so. Those who think it's the
> creation of the devil are free to avoid it. ;)

Amen!

:-)

--

Regards,