Re: RDFa and Web Directions North 2009

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:51:00 -0500
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
CC: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Michael Bolger <michael@michaelbolger.net>, public-rdfa@w3.org, RDFa mailing list <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>

Mark Birbeck wrote:

>> My statement was in response to a statement that I have seen often made that
>> there are no differences that affect application programmers.  Such a
>> statement is provably false.  The people making these statements aren't
>> dummies; it simply is the case that the differences are subtle and
>> non-obvious and tend to be glossed over by those that know better.
>
> I have no idea what this means.
>
> What is a 'difference that affects application programmers', that is
> being glossed over? If you want to write a parser...you just have to
> get on and write it. There's no 'easy' and 'difficult' route, and
> certainly no 'difficult' route that is being glossed over.
>
> Having said that, I haven't seen any of the kinds of statements that
> you refer to; perhaps you can provide some links?

I believe I already provided one:

http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-January/018242.html

>> Actually, I say differences.  I only have an existence proof for one
>> difference at the moment.  Is there more?  Beats me.  Hence my assertion
>> that a definitive list would be helpful.
>
> As I said, the "existence proof" of which you speak (Henri's one),
> proves only that namespace properties do not exist in an HTML DOM,
> whilst they do in an XHTML DOM.
>
> That's very different from being an "existence proof" that there are
> two (or more) algorithms for parsing RDFa in a DOM, since RDFa does
> not require namespaces per se.

I've run a few simple tests with both XML and HTML parsers, and can now
see how this is the case.

- Sam Ruby