Re: RDFa and Web Directions North 2009

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:05:00 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>, Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net>, public-rdfa@w3.org, RDFa mailing list <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Michael Bolger <michael@michaelbolger.net>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
> If Amazon couldn't even be bothered to add a class for "price" in the last
> decade, why do we believe they will add RDFa?

Great question.

Because RDFa isn't a decade old.

It's taken a decade to get to the point where making statements for the
RDF model is simple and unobtrusive enough for it to happen within HTML.
In a nutshell, what wasn't cost-effective to Amazon over the last 10
years, no longer necessarily holds today.

But for arguments sakes, lets assume Amazon doesn't use RDFa, so what?
That's no different than your earlier analogy re. Google.

The Web is not about behemoths, it about a democratic space with multi
tiered dexterity along the following vectors:

1. Data
2. Information
3. Knowledge.

The Web was bootstrapped via point 2 (as an information space), but it
needs the trinity above to stay true to its essence.

--

Regards,

President & CEO