Re: RDFa Trials and Travails ...

From: Steve Williams <sbw@digg.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:46:53 -0700
To: public-rdfa@w3.org

At 11:40 PM 9/24/2008, Hausenblas, Michael wrote:
>http://playtheweb.org/2008/09/24/rdfa-trials-and-travails/

That pretty much describes what I'm feeling as I try to add more RDFa to Digg.

The complexity of RDFa keeps pushing me back toward Microformats, but
I sense that RDFa enables different things from Microformats.  Again,
my example is SearchMonkey: Yahoo!'s crawler can index any RDFa,
whether Dublin Core or my own custom vocabulary.  But they can only
index formal microformats, because custom microformats are
indistinguishable from ordinary mark-up.

In other words, if I must add custom metadata, RDFa lets me use it in
a third-party tool with no prearrangement.  The same isn't possible
with Microformats, which would require me to lobby with Yahoo! (and
every other toolmaker) to recognize this or that Microformat
candidate I dream up.

Do I have that right?