Re: Markup questions: html/body, datatype="", double predicates

Hi Richard,

because the distiller is a piece of software, and was written by me,
therefore distiller has bugs:-) That is part of the ABox:-)

Caveat: I am on a trip right now, I am not sure when I can handle this.
Please, bear with me...

Richard Cyganiak wrote:
[snip]

> 1. Behaviour of RDFa markup on <html> and <body> elements. Let's say my
> file contains these markup bits (doctype, namespace declarations etc
> omitted):

> I expect this to generate these triples:
>
> <> foaf:maker <#me> .
> <#me> foaf:homepage <> .
>
> But what I get from the RDFa Distiller:
>
> <> foaf:maker <#me> .
> <#me> foaf:homepage <> .
> <> foaf:maker <> .
> <> foaf:homepage <> .
>
> Why is this?

At first glance, this does look like a bug. I will have to check that.

Actually, there might be a slight issue in the spec, though: the spec
explicitly says "if the element is the head or body element then act as
if there is an empty @about present" but it does not say anything about
the html element...

> 2. Behaviour of datatype="" when the content includes *RDFa* markup.
> Let's say I have this in my HTML:

>   I work at
>   <a rel="foaf:workplaceHomepage" href="http://www.deri.ie/">DERI
>   Galway</a>.
>
> This works as expected, it creates two triples, a bio:olb triple whose
> value is an rdf:XMLLiteral, and a foaf:workplaceHomepage triple whose
> value is the DERI URL.

???  I have put up your test file on the web by removing the @datatype:

http://www.ivan-herman.net/Misc/2008/cyg-test.html

and what I get via the distiller is:

<http://www.ivan-herman.net/Misc/2008/cyg-test.html#me> bio:olb "I work
at <a href=\"http://www.deri.ie/\" rel=\"foaf:workplaceHomepage\"
xml:lang=\"en\" xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml\">DERI
Galway</a>."^^rdf:XMLLiteral.

Ie, the foaf:workplaceHomepage triple is _not_ generated.

And that is correct! As Toby said in his reply, if a property is found
and a literal is generated, all processing should stop at that point...
I remember that we had lots of discussion on that issue in the group,
but that is indeed the final conclusion.

> Now I want the bio:olb as a plain literal, so I add datatype="" to the
> foaf:workplaceHomepage triple disappears. Annoying! Is this the correct
> result? I sort of hope that it's a bug in the RDFa Distiller...

Again, this behaviour is actually the right one. Labelling a subtree as
a @property means that this subtree is, sort of, removed from the RDFa
processing.

> 3. Double predicates. Just to confirm, is it always allowed to have
> multiple CURIEs in the CURIE-accepting properties?
>
> rel="foo:prop1 bar:prop2"
> rev="foo:prop1 bar:prop2"
> property="foo:prop1 bar:prop2"
> typeof="foo:prop1 bar:prop2"
>
> I assume that all of these are legal and will result in two triples
> instead of one?

Yes.

> That's all for now. Finally, in case that some of the folks who
> influenced the design of RDFa on this list: Let me say that I'm
> impressed with the result.

Thank you!

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/