Re: GSoC student proposal

On 04/15/2013 05:57 PM, Benjamin Talic wrote:
> My name is Ben, I am one of the students applying to work for the org
> as part of GSoC
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gmGaHQaMGdB9tdPAR0Wr2JUtQaLemeOigmmUJy2CEyU/edit

Hi Ben, here's more feedback on your proposal:

About me
--------

Your LinkedIn Link seems to be broken.

Short Bio
---------

Your CV could use a little more polishing, but it's good enough for the
purposes of the proposal.

The importance of the project
-----------------------------

Solid introduction, good.

Why pick me?
------------

Can we have a Andrew Stillman's contact information so that we can ask
for a reference, please?

The rest is good.

Abstract
--------

The LinkedIn Profile Page reader should be a separate web app. I don't
think it would be good to merge it in with "RDFa Complete". So, I'd
expect the two web apps that you work on would be hosted here:

http://rdfa.info/complete
http://rdfa.info/linkedin

Replace "Ambiguous" with "Stretch Goal" or "Time Permitting Projects"

Project Description
-------------------

While I usually like the idea of testing, I don't think that it will be
required for the project that you're working on. That is, I'd rather you
spend time adding features than writing testing code.

The mock-up is a good first attempt, but we may want to use a different
layout. You might want to provide a different layout as an example of
another way the tool could be presented on the screen.

Adding further extensions does not necessarily have to have a tool-based
interface. It could be as simple as checking in two files into the
source code tree. Putting a front-end on this would be fantastic, but
not a required part of the project. I would put this in as a "Stretch
Goal" which is only attempted if you have finished the Linked In profile
retrieval-and-markup tool.

The Linked In Profile retrieval-and-markup tool description is good.

For the tutorial portion, you will want to more specifically define what
sort of tutorial or tutorials you would like to create. Make it clear
that this is a stretch goal.

Deliverables
------------

Split the deliverables into 3 categories:

1. RDFa Complete
2. LinkedIn Converter
3. Tutorial (be specific about the type of tutorial)

Please Note
-----------

All of that sounds reasonable.

Timeline
--------

June 24th-June 26th
  I wouldn't bother with tests at this point, possibly at the end.
September 16th-September 23rd
  The bug reporting system will be github

-----------

The content of the proposal looks good. Spend a little time formatting
and cleaning up spelling, spacing, and grammar issues.

The only major issue is to make sure that you split your proposal into 3
distinct parts: RDFa Complete, LinkedIn Converter, and the tutorial. Be
specific about what you plan for the tutorial. Make sure that you put
aside some time to figure out how to get LinkedIn data using their REST API.

Make sure to submit the application after you clean the items up above
just so that you have an application in the GSoC 2013 system.

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
http://blog.meritora.com/launch/