Re: New Editor's Draft for HTML+RDFa 1.1

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2012, at 11:47 , Niklas Lindström wrote:

>>> Good catch!
>>
>> Thanks. ;)

>>> To be honest, I do not remember. I am on my mobile now, cannot check; the same question arises for time, doesn't it?
>>
>> You mean @datetime? Basically yes. Perhaps it was argued that
>> @datetime is more specific than @content? Regardless, I'm not sure the
>> same can be said for @value. I think it would be more predicable if
>> @content is considered "strongest". (Unless this leads to more
>> complicated rules, but it doesn't seem so.)
>
> To be honest, I do not remember having discussed this in the past. I must admit I do not have strong feeling about this, although the @href/@resource example is compelling indeed.
>
> I agree this is a decision we have to do soon, hopefully before the next publication round (although... with the publication moratorium kicking in this week, maybe it is better not to rush and leave this as an open issue for last call).

I'm fine either way. I'd perfectly open to having a telecon on
thursday this week to discuss this, prototypes and @resource-in-link
if people see fit. Would that be viable?

> FWIW my implementation does not take @content into account right now; it actually overrides one if it is there. But it is easy to change it.
>

>> Also, I think there is another issue in "4. Extensions to the HTML5
>> Syntax". We do say "If the RDFa property attribute is present on the
>> link element, the rel attribute is not required.", which is good. But
>> I believe we must also add:
>>
>>    If the RDFa resource attribute is present on the link element, the
>> href attribute is not required.
>>
>> Otherwise, if you want to use bnode references (or an empty value to
>> resolve to base, which apparently isn't allowed in link/@href [1]),
>> you must also add an unused non-empty @href just to be compliant.
>
> Sorry, it is early morning for me... I do not understand this.

What I mean is that, in HTML5, using e.g.:

    <link rel="rdfa:ref" resource="_:proto">

isn't valid. Link elements have to have an @href. And that @href must
not be empty [1], nor does it support CURIEorIRI. It would be very
cumbersome to have to write the above like:

    <link rel="rdfa:ref" resource="_:proto" href="#ignored">

(In fact, at the moment, the HTML5 validator [2] complains about that
too, saying: "Attribute resource not allowed on element link at this
point.")

Hence, I believe we should add: "If the RDFa resource attribute is
present on the link element, the href attribute is not required." Or
not recommend link for this and favor e.g. empty <a> or <span>
elements.

Best regards,
Niklas

[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-20110113/semantics.html#the-link-element