Re: Current state of ISSUE-140

On Aug 13, 2012, at 19:31 , Gregg Kellogg wrote:

> Last week I took on an action to summarize the current state of ISSUE-140 "Support for @data attribute within <object>".
>
> In the 2011-12-08 telecon [1], the WG resolved to add a note indicating that in HTML5, @href, @src and @data could be transformed from IRIs to URLs if accessed from the DOM. I believe this was related to a discussion, unminuted, about adding @data.
>
> However on the 2012-05-10 meeting [2], the WG resolved not to support the @data attribute.
>
> The test manifest includes a commented-out test 0288 for testing @data in <object>.
>
> All this is consistent with our having decided not to support @data in <object> (or anywhere else). I believe we can mark this issue as closed.

There is one question, though. The argumentation on the call can be well summarized by the remark of Manu:

[[[
I don't think we should support it either... it's on its way out.
]]]

it may be a good precaution to ask Mike Smith about his opinion on whether the <object> element is *really* out before we close this issue.

Ivan