Re: RDFa Lite and non-RDFa @rel values

On Apr 25, 2012, at 8:04 AM, Alex Milowski wrote:

>>> In HTML5 with the HTML or XHTML syntax?
>>
>> Both HTML5 and XHTML5.
>
> Looking at the rules in both the HTML+RDFa and XHTML+RDFa documents, I
> think any HTML5 document serialized as XHTML will be served as
> "application/xhtml+xml" and so the the "XHTML+RDFa 1.1" initial
> context will be used.  As such, they'll be different.

No, there are specific tests for XHTML5 vs XHTML1, and processors are expected to tell the difference between the two. Looking at test case 0176, for example, we have the following documents [1] [2]:

XHTML5:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

XHTML1:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML+RDFa 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-rdfa-2.dtd">

The content-type is only one such mechanism, which is shared between XHTML1 and XHTML5.

Note the difference in DOCTYPE. Also, in this case, the XHTML1 contains an @version attribute, which is obsoleted in (X)HTML5.

According to XHTML+RDFa 1.1 document conformance [3], there are MAY statements for @version and the DTD. This is sufficient to tell an XHTML1+RDFa document from an XHTML5+RDFa document, which would contain a different DTD. Of course, if it is ambiguous, a processor can pick either, however it can be made unambiguous, so that there is a mechanism for distinguishing the processing rules, which the test suite uses to test different behavior.

Gregg

[1] http://rdfa.info/test-suite/test-cases/rdfa1.1/xhtml5/0176.xhtml
[2] http://rdfa.info/test-suite/test-cases/rdfa1.1/xhtml1/0176.xhtml
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-xhtml-rdfa-20120313/#document-conformance