Re: More general thoughts on the @property change

On Oct 31, 2011, at 2:55 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have tried to give some more general thoughts on the possible change of @property and why it might be a good idea. I do _not_ want to concentrate on usability issues here, because that has already been discussed (although I do believe that it is an important aspect); instead, let me concentrate on something different.
>
> Let us take a step back. A difficult feature of RDFa is chaining. It represents an implicit, additional semantics. After all, the basic semantics of @rel/@rev is to create a triple with a specific non-literal object. But it doe something else, it does it implicitly, so to say, and it can be difficult to avoid.

IIRC, every RDF serialization has chaining. Some only chain BNodes, but that's consistent with most of the schema.org examples I've encountered.

@rel/@rev does have some confusing implications, but really only those that do not involve @about, @typeof, or @resource. What I find confusing about the following:

However, the fact that @rel uses _new subject_ as the subject, rather than _parent subject_ is where I think people have problems. What's confusing about the following:

  <a property="name" href="...">Gregg</a>

is that it _doesn't_ create <> :foo [ a :Bar; :name "Gregg ] .

IMO, it's the precedence of @rel and confusion about when to use @rel or @property that is at issue. My proposal would do away with the need to use @rel, while not obsoleting it. It would also make the behavior of @property when used for chaining more intuitive (IMO) and consistent with Microdata's chaining rules.

My proposal has the advantages of avoiding unexpected chaining, while allowing the use of a single attribute (@property) to do explicit chaining when @typeof and/or @about is present. (I'm not in favor of removing @rel/@rev either, just making them unnecessary).

> (The only authoring pattern that becomes more awkward is when one wants explicitly to avoid using @href with @property on, say, an <a> element and generate a literal instead; this can be achieved using @rel="" or @datatype="", or with an explicit @content. Ain't pretty, but I do not think this is a really important practical case.)
>
> So yes, I think this change does not only answer to the usability issue of end users not making a difference between literals and URI references, but it also improves RDFa overall.
>
> Gregg, as a small aside: this line of thought is also why I am still uneasy adding any kind of additional chaining semantics to @property, something that you propose as an addition. The _only_ change I would propose to do is that @property picks up @resource/@href/@src/... as the object of a triple if there is no @rel/@rev present on the same element. But this is still open.

Understood, but respectfully disagree :).

Gregg