Questions on the Link Registry for RDFa (ACTION-100)

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 17:39:40 +0200
Cc: W3C RDFWA WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>
Mark,

as you may know, RDFa 1.1 is in its finishing round (the editors' draft is available at [1]). One of the last issues that the group has to decide is how to interpret, when generating RDF, a statement like

<a rel="author" href="blabla">....</a>

ie, what RDF predicates should be generated (if any) for the value of @rel. RDFa 1.0 used the rel relations as defined in the XHTML document, and generated a predicate in the xhtml/vocab namespace, e.g.,

http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab#author

for all @rel values that XHTML1 defined. For RDFa 1.1, the situation is a little bit complicated, because it is unclear what @rel relations the HTML WG will define for HTML5[2]. It will be different, probably, than the old list.

On our meeting today, the RDFa WG decided that, instead of any of the HTML specs, we should use the IANA link relation list:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xml

which seems to be much more complete than what is in the current HTML document[2] anyway.

However, there are some details that we should clarify, hence this mail. These are:

1. What is the authoritative URI to refer to for this list? Is the URI above all right? We must admit we simply got there via google:-)

2. Does IANA have any advice/requirement as for the URI-s to be used when materializing those link relations in RDF? As I said, we used the xhtml/vocab namespace before, and we can certainly continue doing that for most, although the describedby relation already has a URI in the Powder namespace. Or, alternatively, do you guys have fixed URI-s that you'd prefer us to use?

3. How frequently do you plan to update this list?

I think that is it for now...

Thanks for your help an advice

Ivan

[1] http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/sources/rdfa-core/Overview-src.html