Re: Maybe a new pandora's box? '/' in a term (not CURIE!)

On Nov 17, 2011, at 11:42 , Niklas Lindström wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 16, 2011, at 5:55 AM, "Ivan Herman" <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Unless somebody vehemently opposes this, I would like to record it as an issue. May I?
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Clearly required for the schema.org extension mechanism. Re-defining Term should do it.
>
> I haven't looked into the details, but couldn't relaxing TERM from
> being an NCName get us into trouble? We'd have to redefine TERM very
> carefully, so that CURIEs aren't also considered as terms. Since
> colons are allowed in IRI segments, we'd have to determine whether
> they'd be allowed at all in TERMs, and if so, only after an NCName
> separated by any *other* gen-delim (as defined in the IRI spec)..

I would be very conservative indeed for this. My proposal would be to stick to ncname _plus_ the possibility of a '/' character. For the reasons you say I would _not_ be in favour of allowing the ':' character, for example.

In other words, the only question is whether the '/' would get us into trouble. And I do not see how it would.

Ivan