Re: ISSUE-117 (about-on-HTML): Consider disallowing @about on <html> [RDFa 1.1 in HTML5]

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 09:07:59 +0100
Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> Toby wrote:
>> 1. Ditch the magic behaviour of the <head> and <body> elements in
>> HTML+RDFa. Preferably in XHTML+RDFa too.
>
> What this means is that the processing would begin by not having a
> subject at all.

No, it wouldn't. From RDFa 1.1 Core:

| At the beginning of processing, an initial evaluation context is
| created, as follows:
| * the base is set to the URI of the document (or another value
|   specified in a language specific manner such as the HTML base
|   element);
| * the parent subject is set to the base value;

> IN any case, lots of backward compatibility issues: although I dislike
> them, but all those stylesheet triples would disappear, because they
> are almost always generated through the <head> and its magic
> property.

Nope, they wouldn't disappear. The initial evalutaion context would set
the subject to be the document's base URI, so stylesheet triples would
pick up that as their subject by default.

> Toby wrote:
>> 2. Say that the magic behaviour of <head> and <body> only kicks in
>> when the <head> or <body> element carries the @typeof attribute.
>> Preferably in XHTML+RDFa too.
>
> I do not think that works. I may have very legitimate reasons to use
> ie, to create a blank node of type 'T'.

Well, you're out of luck, because that will already fail in XHTML+RDFa
1.0 and 1.1 - it will set the rdf:type of the document's base URI, not
a blank node.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>