Re: [URGENT] 2nd Last Call Issues

Manu,

On Mar 25, 2011, at 18:06 , Manu Sporny wrote:

> As explained here, there is an issue with XML+RDFa:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdfa-wg/2011Mar/0100.html
>
> We need to make a number of proposals and resolve them as a working
> group in order to proceed to Last Call. This IS NOT a vote - it is a
> straw poll for consensus. We need at least 5 people in the RDFa WG to +1
> each of these items to proceed. If someone -1s any of these proposals,
> please explain why. We need to accomplish the following:
>
> * Modify the processing rules to assume an about="" on the root
>   element.
> * Note that this decision overrules the decision we made yesterday.
> * Adjust the publication date to next Thursday - it would be kinda
>   jerk-y of us to ask W3C Pubs to only have one day to review our
>   request.

If the decision can be taken today or tomorrow, then I do not see any problem with Tuesday. Implementing the decision is a simple editorial step, that can be done very quickly

> So here goes, make sure to +1/+0/-1 each proposal item:

> PROPOSAL: The RDFa Core processing rules should be modified in a way
> that ensures that the root element assumes an about="" if no @about is
> specified. For example, the following text could accomplish this:
>
> """
> In section 7.5, processing step 6, if no URI is provided by an @about
> attribute, then first check to see if the element is the root element.
> If it is, then act as if there is an empty @about present, and process
> it according to the rule for @about.
>
> In section 7.5, processing step 7, if no URI is provided by an @about
> attribute, then first check to see if the element is the root element.
> If it is, then act as if there is an empty @about present, and process
> it according to the rule for @about.
> """

+1

> PROPOSAL: The decision to assume an empty @about="" on root elements
> overrides the decision made on March 24th 2010:
> http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/meetings/2011-03-24#resolution_2

+1

> PROPOSAL: RDFa Core 1.1 and XHTML+RDFa 1.1 should be modified to include
> the empty @about="" on root elements decision and should then proceed
> into the 2nd Last Call with a publication date targeted at March 31st
> with a Last Call period of 3 weeks from the publication date.

-1

There are two possibilities here, I am not sure which of the two you propose:

a) you propose to add something on @about="" on the root but no other modification; in this case the modification is superfluous.
b) you propose to add something on @about and _remove_ the reference to <head> and <body>. In that case we create a backward compatibility issue. Indeed:

  <head>
  </head>

would, under the new rules, produce:

<base> q:r <http://manu.com> .
<http://manu.com> a:b "aaaa".

whereas, in RDFa 1.0, because there is an implicit about on the head, this would produce

<base> a:b "aaaa" .

Oops:-)

If the current text remains unchanged than, in RDFa 1.1, the triples to be produced would become:

<base> q:r <http://manu.com> .
<base> a:b "aaaa".

which is all right with backward compatibility, too.

As a consequence, my proposal is _not_ to touch the XHTML+RDFa document. It is ugly, but an unimportant corner case in practice.

Unfortunately, I take a flight early tomorrow morning. I *might* look at my mail later today.