Re: [URGENT] Re: RDFa Core 1.1 XML+RDFa spec bug?

This is where we are, I believe:

- I believe (and this seems to what Nathan or Greg also say) that the current spec for XML+RDFa is such that, in the absence of an explicit @about attribute no triples will be generated. Ie

<a>
   <b property="q:r">something</b>
</a>

will generate no triples and the same holds, in my view, for

<a>
   <c>
     <b property="q:r">something</b>
   </c>
</a>

In this sense I do not believe our decision on this week's call was wrong in a _logical/specification sense_. But it is also true that some of the RDFa 1.0 tests, related to SVG, were indeed wrong.

- All that being said, and thinking about it a bit further, I think we indeed made a mistake yesterday with the decision in terms of what the community expectation on this would be. We now formalize/generalize the XHTML+RDFa spec to the more general XML world; in the former case we did define an implicit @about on <body> and <head> and I believe it is a reasonable thing to say that we generalize this instead of the decision we took yesterday. In _that_ sense, that decision was wrong. Manu's proposal is therefore to overturn the decision of yesterday and introduce a rule that says "have an explicit @about=BASE on the top element, unless there is already one" (it is more complicated, I know, but it boils down to that, effectively.) _And I agree with the proposal_.

The current text in the XHTML+RDFa document says:

[[[
In section 7.5, processing step 6, if no URI is provided by a resource attribute (e.g., @about, @href, @resource, or @src), then first check to see if the element is the head or bodyelement. If it is, then act as if there is an empty @about present, and process it according to the rule for @about.
]]]

and the same for 7.6. I would propose to add this to the XML+RDFa language profile except for the fact that this is for the top level element rather than for <head> or <body>. This means that other host languages may define this to be different than others.

For backward compatibility reasons, however, I do not think we can remove these from the XHTML definition and rely on some generic approach. Indeed

  <head>
  </head>

have to generate

base a:b "aaaa" .

according to RDFa 1.0!

One more reasons to make this language specific, so to say.

Ivan